December 19, 2005

Strength at The Broken Places

The gold chain holding my grandfather's railroad retirement pin was fragile, and it
broke easily. I wore it around my neck every day, and it often got caught in my
clothing. If I pulled on it accidently, a weak spot in the delicate links would give
way. After taking it to the jeweler several times and having the broken ends
soldered together, I noticed that it never broke in the same place twice. Once
broken and repaired, one small area was stronger then the entire rest of
the necklace that had never been broken.
"The world breaks everyone," wrote Ernest Hemingway, "and afterward
many are strong at the broken places."
If I let Him, God will invade this weakness of illness and make me strong in the area
that I feel the most vulnerable. In Him, my life can have a powerful
effect on others for Christ's sake.

No comments: